Sunday, February 24, 2008

Baby Talk

I am feeling so relaxed - not because I have an offer (still waiting to hear) but because I have no interviews scheduled for next week. I am looking forward to doing an off campus search on my own terms.

I hate the everpresent feeling of competition in the MBA process - for GMAT scores, for admittance, for scholarships, for class slots, for grades, for interviews, for leadership positions. I am much more comfortable creating my own path than trying to outdo my fine peers. Life at the GSB is very cordial and second and first years are very supportive of one another. The competition is not overt by any means but it does lurk beneath the surface, making itself especially obvious in the recruiting season as firms pick and choose between us.

Y and I actually went out last night. Saw St. Vincent at Schubas. Discovered the amazing beer menu, great food and friendly service at Cooper's Neighborhood Eatery. I think I'll try to return to ballet classes again.

I just wanted to mention, especially for any future MBA mamas out there, that while doing this process with a little one adds some extra challenges, it also puts the entire process in perspective. I am glad that I didn't put off Baby Y until after the MBA and, frankly, I'd take Baby Y before the MBA any day. There's nothing like the sheer delight in his eyes when I open the door, him crawling towards me as fast has his little hands can move, to wipe away the bitter taste of a bad interview or a boring accounting class. No human being has loved me with such intensity or is so deliciously beautiful :)

That said, the GSB still has work to do in terms of easing the path for student moms. As I am still trying to make some progress here, I hate to be too critical but here are some of my frustrations:

  • Unlike Columbia, which stepped up and created a Mothers in Business group under its Women in Business student group, we have gotten no where with trying to do the same at the GSB (and why won't CWiB update its website already?)
  • Working through the Office of Diversity Affairs to create more resources and support for student mothers has been much slower than hoped for, unfortunately.
  • The lactation room, while technically sufficient, is not yet up to par - (but, yes, we do have that at least for those who need it). Now if only we could get onsite daycare. Oh, but to dream.
  • The admissions office has yet to take current student moms up on their offer to chat with prospectives on the ins and outs of parenting at the GSB - I believe student dads would benefit from this too. If you are an admit or prospective who wants to talk to a student parent - let the school know. We are ready and willing to give you our thoughts but I think you'll have to ask for it directly.

If you are a potentital GSBer, come help me change these things! Or help change these things at your own MBA program and set a better example than we seem to be setting here!! I'm still working on it, but I could use some help.

*Edited 2/26/08

1 comment:

Mo Zhou said...

Congrads on done with the internship hunting season. :P Dance classes are so therapeutic, you should definitely return to ballet classes? I'm curious what kind dance studios are around U chicago , or if U chicago offer some themselves for its students at a discount? I like jazz and hiphop classes.

Motherhood is such a beautiful thing, but not understood by an outsider. I remember when I was trying to set up an optics engineering society in my undergrad, it was really difficult because of the population people who are interested in optics are very small, so getting fund from school was difficult. But, on the other hand you can raise funds by doing things that are special to you and interesting to others. Like we borrowed the laser lab to make special poker chips :P While demonstrating optics theory, we sold special poker chips. :P Maybe a baby pictures sell (who can resist super cute baby), cutest GSB baby contest, Getting a baby column on the CHIBUS, by the way they are the future :P... LoL just some crazy ideas.