Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snow day

We've been having crazy weather in PNZ. I feel like every other week we're advised not to hit the roads. I decided to stay home today. It was hard to gauge the driving conditions and the east side, where I work, tends to be worse than downtown. I figured if we had this much snow here it would probably be much worse over there and I wasn't in the mood for one of these marathon commutes that hits every time the weather turns sour.

As it turned out, I spent nearly the whole day sleeping, so I'm glad I stayed home. It could be that in celebration of my new found freetime I overdid the exercise yesterday. I did 45 minutes on the stairmaster and then took a ballet class. A ballet class! Not only am I just out of shape in general, having not really danced much in the past year and a half, but my foot is still creaky from surgery and I am now carrying an official pregnant lady belly. It was an interesting experience. However, rather than beating up on myself as I would normally do when getting back in the tights and leos and standing in front of the mirrors after a long absence, I was just ecstatic to be standing at all and thrilled that my legs had any memory at all. So it was nice but I think I should ease back into things.

So I'm in my 19th week, I believe. Almost halfway there. I have my first ultrasound on Friday which I am looking forward to. I'm starting to have more trouble getting out of bed in the middle of the night without grunting and rolling around a bit before finding my footing. Y and I do not plan on finding out the gender, so hopefully they won't accidentally let that slip. I'm surprised how many people find that decision surprising. Personally, I'm just trying to keep the gender nazis at bay. I love pink and baby blue is fine with me, but people, the year is 2007. The country is the USofA. The kid can wear red, boys can wear pink and babies wear pretty much the same thing for a good year or so anyway. We're in a studio apartment, there is no color-coordinated nursery, I don't want a bunch of plastic crap cluttering up my life. I was raised in a gender-neutral household and as I get older I feel more and more grateful to my parents. I plan to do the same for my kids. It wasn't even an overt thing. We didn't discuss the idea that just because I was a girl didn't mean I had to do xyz or that it wasn't true that I couldn't do abc. We just lived like people and I didn't think about gender at all until I went to kindergarten. But we were out in the middle of no where and it was easier to ignore that type of nonsense than it might be in the city. We shall see.

Picking out names. I've been thinking about what to name my kids since I was 5 so you would think that this would be an easy thing, or at least pleasurable, but I'm finding it agonizing. How long can I put it off? I think in the back of my mind I think that if I don't do it, someone else will take care of it. Everyone has a name! What if I choose a name and then want to change my name later? The issue is compounded by the fact that my husband and I have different last names and mine is already hyphenated, although I pulled the hyphen out and mashed them together a few years ago for various reasons. My latest thought on the first names is that if I'm so dead set on gender neutrality maybe I should pick names that work equally well on a boy or a girl. As for the last names, oi. I don't know. Maybe one kid will get his and one will get mine. I'm hoping to find a flash of inspiration soon.

Well, I should get to bed, I think tomorrow it's back to work for me.

No comments: