Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I love Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love to eat. I like to cook. And I hate shopping (for anything besides food.) And since I'm a control freak when it comes to major meals, I'm hosting as usual. The fun thing is that because we're in Chicago now, some friends and relatives whom I've never had Thanksgiving with are coming, which will be a lot of fun. And my sister is here for the week. Unfortunately, we're doing Thanksgiving on Saturday though. (I hate doing it on any other day besides Thursday.) But since I don't have to fly or drive anywhere, I won't complain. My Thanksgiving menu is virtually unchanged over the last 7 years or so:

  • Turkey, free-range/organic of course, and gravy (courtesy of my mom)
  • Stuffing - fresh herbs make all the difference
  • Cranberry sauce (the second best thing about Thanksgiving) - never from the can!
  • Mashed potatoes with lots of butter
  • Corn (always from a can ;)
  • Green beans - in whatever style suits me that year
  • Brussel sprouts - I don't know how this got on the menu but it sticks
  • Pumpkin pie (the whole point of the meal)

But while the food is great, the chance to retreat from the madness of classes and recruiting and lunch and learns is the real joy this year. Seeing a calm descend upon ye olde Harper Center was a great relief. My goal is to hole up in the apartment for the next several days working feverishly on my stock pitch, business plan, and neglected homework, emerging only to baste the turkey and throw a pie together as needed. Amazingly, next week is the last week of classes. Then comes finals, winter break trips (which I'm thinking I may forgo so that Y and I can take a baby free, GSB free trip ourselves), and eventually interview prep (if I don't decide to go full throttle on the entrepreneur route.)

And I've been meaning to say good luck to those in round one this year. May your interviews go brilliantly and may you hear happy happy news in the coming months.

No comments: