Sunday, January 20, 2008

Breathe ...

So I have to admit that despite my absolute best efforts to stay calm and take confidence in my preparations, I feel like a basket case. My stomach has been in knots for over a week now and it doesn't seem to be going away. My biggest concern is that my upcoming interviews, while all in the realm of IM, are very different from one another (fixed income/equities, hedge fund/long only/private placement, Boston/LA etc), leaving me feeling very thinly spread in my preparations. One of my biggest lessons from all of my mock interviews (four this week) is that I really need to give more time and attention to the soft questions (leadership/teamwork bah) but I feel compelled to improve my stock pitches instead (where I think it really counts personally). And then there's the question of coursework. While the advice (and the most sensible thing given the circumstances) is to put interviews before school, it completely goes against my nature to do so and it's very hard to know how best to minimize school without completely destroying my grades.

And then I think how many times I've felt like this before (dread, anxiety, too little time to prepare) and how it all turned out in the end. So I suppose this too will turn out (well, at least it will be over in a month). But in the interest of giving prospectives an honest perspective on life at the GSB - I figured I may as well share my true feelings of anxiety.

I've asked Y and my mom to take more than their fair share of child care and house work over the next month and hopefully I can get this over with and make up for it. But it's hard for me to ask for help. Focus is everything right now. (Man, I can't wait to exercise regularly again!)

No comments: