Thursday, October 02, 2008

"You just have to work harder"

I want to give a first week class update but tonight I thought I'd just related to following gem.

So today I was chatting with a non-finance/accounting professor about my on-again/off-again entrepreneurial ambitions and, in response to her advice that the MBA was a time to explore not to become narrowly focused, I explained that I abandoned the entrepreneurial route because the investment management recruitment takes an inordinate amount of time in terms of preparing an adequate stock pitch and going through multiple interviews. I could not do that and the entrepreneurial thing successfully simultaneously, I said. To which she said, "Yes, you can. You just have to work harder."

Man, why didn't I think of that before! All those opportunities I've squandered with my half-baked work ethic. If only I had known.

I think that easily takes the prize as the worst advice I have ever received. Luckily, she had a few other redeeming points to make in the conversation. But I tell you, being told that I "just needed to work harder" raised my blood pressure more than reading WSJ headlines or listening to Palin interviews. (Btw, go Kathleen Parker.) I was appalled. Who says that?

No comments: