Friday, May 22, 2009

Why Blog?

Hi.

When I bid farewell I then felt obliged to stop blogging. Why all the drama otherwise? And then, the newborn experience and discussions with friends, classmates, administrators and strangers about my blog, made me want to get back online. And then I realized I really liked not blogging. Enough with the sharing already! Too stressful.

I don't know about other bloggers but I have often wondered why I kept it up over the years. It seemed so cliched and self-absorbed and silly. And when it dawned on me that people were actually reading this blog (ostensibly the point, no?) I was alarmed. (Though perhaps not sufficiently alarmed.)

Once upon a time I was an insatiable reader. (I read actual books!) And for some time I thought that I might try to make a profession as a writer. So I spent a lot of time pondering the point of writing ... and reading.

My conclusion was that good writing should make us glad to be human beings. Whether we see something of ourselves in the writer or nothing of ourselves (but gain an appreciation for an entirely different experience), the stories we share make us a little less lonely in the world. Perhaps I tend to err on the side of sharing too much and sharing too frankly (I actually subject this blog to very heavy self-censoring) but I can't imagine an intelligent reader would take me seriously otherwise. And I've realized the stories you've shared with me through your comments, your emails and your conversations is why I blog.

I have a month of MBA thoughts ahead of me. And then perhaps I'll take up a new domain for a fresh start sans MBA theme.

3 comments:

Lady D said...

Glad to have you back!

Uma Abraham said...

Hey!

How can I get in touch with you?

You write really well!

Keep blogging,

Uma Abraham
uma@graduatetutor.com

Jenna said...

its soooo good to hear from you!! so glad to have you back