Monday, June 01, 2009

Regrets, Reflections and Responsible Blogging

I started this blog in 2006 essentially as a letter to myself. It was to be the blog I wished existed then. But as my fortunes became tied to the Booth brand, this became more complicated. What I have tried to resolve for myself over the past month or so is to what extent I want to speak freely about this experience and to what extent I should. What do I owe myself? What do I owe the school? And what do I owe to the younger me's out there? And what is worth saying?

I realize now that it is difficult for prospective students to get a frank view of the MBA experience because it is so difficult for insiders to speak frankly. When I was speaking officially for admissions I was completely sincere but very guarded in my comments. I never mentioned the hard parts and over the two years I began to feel guilty for portraying this experience in such a one-sided manner. Students who are not sufficiently warned about the hard parts are likely to be far more disappointed. So, for better or worse, this blog was a space for me to come clean. (And while it is true that my less flattering comments are my opinion, not fact, this is just as true of my or anyone's flattering opinions as well.)

But if competing schools don't have frank bloggers airing complaints, it's not particularly balanced. And it can be hard to discern as a blogger when to convey a strong opinion and when to let the moment pass - what is worth sharing and what should be ignored.

One reason I chose Booth was that I found the students to be very genuine. At some schools I felt like they were reading off a script. I think the views about business school in general and Booth in particular, within the Booth community are more nuanced, unexpected and diverse than an outsider might expect.

I somewhat regret starting this blog in the first place and I regret blogging specifically about Booth. Far more interesting is the discussion of the value and place of a business education, gender and babies in an MBA world, the moral complexities of the pursuit of money, etc. If you think this is interesting too, stay tuned ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reading your past post, I am very happy that you posted your experience. I always felt that a Full Time MBA was the ticket I needed to get to the next level, and in reality it is not. I cannot explain to you how valuable your post as an MBA mother has been to me, you have made me see that it is possible and the rewards(raising a healthy child(ren).

Keep up the goodwork, and although I have rarely posted, I have been an avid follower since 2007 and will continue to do so. I look forward to hearing more on your thoughts on purusing a career with children, as your pre-mba life was sans children

MaybeMBA said...

Hi anon - emails and comments like these keep me going. Great to hear from you!

Andrew Choi said...

Great post! I've been going through similar dilemma for the past couple of months. When my friends and I talk about blogging, I always tell them about your blog and how I wish I can speak as openly about my school. I think your candor is exactly what prospectives need to see what MBA is really all about so they can make the right decision - keep it up! - Andrew

HairTwirler said...

Yeah! Gender, babies and business! Just what this Smithie loves to read about.

JulyDream said...

Given that Darden's blogging community is rather large, we have similar discussions to what you have just written. While there are some that would rather not post negative feelings, I'm a big proponent of them for varied reasons. For one, writing has always been a great outlet for me, and I use my blog in that manner. For two, anyone reading a blog, should, as you've said, receive a balance opinioned of the experience. If people can't understand that business school is hard, they shouldn't be applying. A lot of heart, frustration and reward go into a full experience. If that wasn't true, everyone would have an MBA from a top school. Keep up the good work! Many readers, including myself, find your perspective engaging.